728 Majura Road
It all started when...
Robert Campbell settled this area in 1825 as a compensation grant of 4,000 acres (16 km2) of land and 710 sheep, after Campbell's ship the "Sydney" was lost off the coast of India while chartered to the New South Wales government. Campbell named his property Majura probably after "Majura in India", according to the ACT National Trust. In 1825 James Ainslie by assignment of Campbell started a sheep station in the area which today is Canberra.
Campbell was assigned convict labourers, but also brought free settlers as farm workers. These people were settled on small holdings of around 2 acres. Such a holding is “Majura House" which was built for Alfred Mayo and his family between 1846 and 1860, the house remaining in family ownership until 1981. The original house is a sandstone structure with a slab annex and shingle roof, very similar to Blundell’s Cottage. It then was acquired by Tony and Pam Sullivan and was extended and renovated. Anne McGrath and Nick Weber bought the property in 1999 and have subsequently established a pastured free range egg business along with mixed farming focussing on “Majura Valley” branded products from the farm – This is the oldest continuously working farm in the territory.